People most at risk of developing a venous venous skin ulcers are those who have previously had a venous skin ulcers. You can help reduce your risk of developing a venous venous skin ulcers in several ways, such as:
- Wearing a compression stocking
- Losing weight
- Taking care of your skin
- Quit smoking
- Eliminate alcohol use from life
- Manage underlying diseases
- Consume healthy diet
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Avoid crossing legs while sitting
- void extreme temperatures
Home Remedy for Venous Skin Ulcers
A variety of home remedies and treatments may continue at home to encourage healing of the Venous Skin Ulcer. There are many natural remedies for venous skin ulcers that help to control the symptoms and cure them. The home remedies for venous skin ulcers outlined below might provide relief from swelling, pain, and itching:
- Lift your legs above the level of your heart as often as possible. For example, lie down and then prop up your legs with pillows.
- Wear compression stockings or bandages. These help prevent blood from pooling in your legs.
If your venous skin ulcer is due to the varicose veins compression therapy is frequently the first and most conservative step in its management. Compression stockings work simply by squeezing the leg, thereby reducing the amount of blood and pressure in the veins. Lumino Cielo Copper Compression stockings are based on graduated pressure mechanism that helps you to increase or decrease the pressure gradients. Its knee length design is highly suitable for Indian weather that seems to be much warmer as compared to the western environment. Lumino Cielo is providing many other stockings like Flamingo Varicose Vein Stockings that are stretchable and provide adequate pressure to alleviate your symptoms.
- Flax seed also provides good remedial measures for venous skin ulcers. To use it as a home remedy, flax seed must be ground and put into hot water to make a paste. Then it should be applied on the wound. The affected area should be sealed with plastic, and the pack has to be left overnight. Regular application of the pack helps to cure venous skin ulcers.
- Honey is one of the best home remedies for wounds, burns, skin lesions and venous skin ulcers. A regular application of honey on the venous skin ulcers can precipitate the healing process and prevent bacterial or viral infection.
- Chamomile tea is a good natural cure for venous skin ulcers. Alternately, the patient can make a pack by grounding chamomile flower in hot water and place the pack on the venous skin ulcers. The pack needs to remain on the affected area overnight. This is an extremely effective home remedy for venous skin ulcers.
- Applying tea tree oil to the affected area provides a barrier that prevents any bacterial or viral infection from developing.
Treatment of Venous Skin Ulcer
Treatment for a venous leg ulcer must begin with cleaning the wound well to remove any dead tissues. Since ulcers heal better when they are covered, you will need to dress the wound well and change the dressing on a weekly basis. With appropriate treatment, most venous leg ulcers heal within three to four months.If your ulcer doesn’t heal within a few months, your physician may advise other treatment, such as:
- Medicines like antibiotics, anti-inflammatory etc.
- Topical Ointments
- Hyperbaric oxygen (oxygen delivered at high pressure) is sometimes used when facilities are available.
- A skin graft may be advised for a large ulcer, or for one that does not heal well.
- Surgery for varicose veins or other vein problems is advised in some cases. This may correct back pressure of blood pooling in the veins and allow an ulcer to heal.
- Physical therapy to improve circulation, relieve edema, reduces pain improve activity of daily livings etc.