Knees are very vulnerable lower limb structures often have a verity of injury. The knee joint has several anatomical structures including bone, articular cartilage, meniscus, collateral ligaments, cruciate ligaments, and tendons. Any Injury affects these structures are termed as knee injuries. The knee injuries were categorized as ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL, medial meniscus and lateral meniscus tears. The treatment range varies depending on the type of knee injuries and the severity of the condition.
In Indian scenario, the incidence of Knee injuries is high in the young generation. The reason behind this may due to the selection of game. For example, Kabaddi is a popular contact sport in India. Both Indian girls and boys are playing Kabaddi, even most of the school curriculum also enlisted kabaddi playing in sports/ game activity. Knee injuries are one of the commonest injuries sustained by kabaddi players.
Types and Cause Of Knee Injuries
Sprain: A sprain is a common type of knee injuries, in which during stretching of the knee may ligament is not ready to stretch and try to hold its position. This acts against the force stretching and resultant of this leads to a knee injury. In this type of knee injury, the chance of ligament tearing is depended upon the force of stretching.
Strain: Over use of knee joint also causes knee injuries and one of such type of knee injuries is a strain. In this type of knee injury, the tearing of surrounding muscle tendon depends upon the degree of knee joint moves during hyperextension or hyperflexion of the knee.
MCL and LCL Injuries: MCL and LCL are ligaments of the knee and this ligament torn can leads to a knee injury. The stretching or torn of the ligament can develop during the planted the foot and a force directed from sideway hit knee joint.
ACL Injuries: Damaging of cruciate ligaments due to the force applied from front or back direction to the knee in the foot planted position, then this type of knee injuries is termed as ACL injuries.
Meniscus Tears: Acute injury or gradual tearing of knee joint is termed as Meniscus tears. In this type of knee injury, the cartilage present in between the femoral condyle and the tibial plateau become twisted.
Depending on the type of Knee injury and the severity of the injury the symptoms can vary. However, common symptoms of all these knee injuries are pain and inflammation.
In strain and sprain types of knee injuries, pain and swelling gradually develop and difficult to move the leg.
In MCL and LCL Injuries, a significant pain arises immediately after the incidence and walking become a difficult due defensive mechanism of body restrict knee movement. In addition, mild swelling occurs in the knee joint.
In ACL injury, immediately swelling is developed and attempt to walk become difficult.
In Meniscus Tears, the symptoms of this knee injury lead gradual progression of pain and swelling. This may cause a negligence about the injury, however, this knee injury provides chronic pain and stay longer period.
The following precautionary measures are important to avoid Knee injuries
- Maintaining proper leg posture
- Avoid direct traumatic blow to the knee
- Warm up before starting playing outdoor games
Some of the home remedies applicable for Knee injuries are as follows:
- Adequate rest and restricted movement of the knee joint help to heal up the knee injury
- Ice compression often help to reduce inflammation and acute pain symptom
- Elevated leg posture often prefer to control inflammation
- The treatment plan depends on the type of knee injury, the severity of the symptoms and underlying cause.
- Initially, the doctor often asks to do X-ray of the affected site. Depending upon the result, the doctor may advise conducting a further diagnostic test like MRI or CT scan etc.
- In less severe case inflammation and pain related to a knee injury is Analgesic and anti-inflammatory medicine.
- In addition, some assistive device requires prescribing to stabilize the knee. Knee brace like Lumino Cielo Athletic Compression Knee Brace available on Amazon, which is suitable for any types of knee injuries.
- Physical therapy and surgical intervention may require for ACL Injuries and Meniscus Tears.